Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Month Two


My how the time has flown!  It seems like just yesterday we were unpacking the last box.  Our new married life has begun and is filled with 40 hour work weeks, meeting and building relationships with new neighbors, and trying to find the time to actually go out and explore OKC a little bit.  With those schedules and our new OK Driver Licenses, we definitely feel like this is home.  People told me Okies would be wierd, and I have been asked by many how the people are here.  So, after some quiet deliberation I can honestly say that either they are normal, or I am just as wierd with them.  I will say that when you tell an Okie that you will have Jolly Jumps at your block party, they look at you with a wondering expression of what on earth those could possibly be.  Other then that they're pretty normal.  

A conversation came on the radio the other day that got me thinking.  It was actually a few weeks ago and I thought, "I should write my next blog post on this topic."  Well, 3 weeks later, here it goes.  

I feel like I know more people who rededicate their life to God then those who become Christians for the first time (as if you can become Christian a second time).  As this thought occured to me, I had two main questions pop in my head.  The first: Why does becoming a Christian not always work the first time?  That lead me to the second question: If people become a Christian and truly follow Jesus then they wouldn't have to rededicate their lives again, so were the people rededicating their lives actually Christians?  I am sure some were (because I was), and it sure makes the case for discipling.


I have been at youth conferences where many students go up to the stage to rededicate their life to Christ and it's a victory, but then three days later, they are living exactly the same as they were before they came, saying the same types of words, and negative statements.  I feel  as humans, we have great intentions, but we are very set in our ways.  It is difficult to completely change your lifestyle after one decision.  

So, whether a person rededicates their life to Christ after falling away or chooses to follow Christ for the first time, discipling is very important.  It is what every member of our church chooses to do on a weekly basis.  It is an intregal part of who we are.  Not only do we teach and build each other up, but we are reading the Bible with people whose worlds are going to be turned upside down when they realize they are not following Jesus and choose to make the incredible decision to act out the faith they thought they had. When that happens (because it will) we will continue discipling them, then they can disciple others.  Slowly we can begin to wipe out the rededication aspect of Christianity where it will no longer be necessary!  I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment